Switzerland is renowned for its picturesque natural scenery and high standard of living. Besides, it’s also recognized for its well-regulated online gambling industry, with many Swiss citizens actively participating in online casino games.
This guide will cover various topics, such as the benefits of playing at Swiss online casinos, the most popular casino games, relevant regulations and laws, bonuses and promotions, security measures, the top Swiss online casinos, payment options, and responsible gaming. More Details
Playing at Online Casinos in Switzerland
Switzerland has some excellent online casinos that offer players a safe and secure gaming environment with plenty of games, bonuses, and rewards. However, it’s important to do your research before choosing an online casino in Switzerland, as many on the internet are not approved by the Eidgenössische Spielbankenkommission (ESBK) to provide their services in the country and do not meet the highest standards.
To ensure that you choose a legitimate Swiss online casino, make sure to check the website’s domain extension (ccTLD). It should end with .ch, rather than .com or any other domain extensions, such as .uk, .sk, or .de. Legitimate online Swiss casino sites include:
Once you’ve picked a CH casino site where you want to play, the next step is to check the casino’s license. All legitimate Swiss online casinos will display the ESBK logo and their license number prominently at the bottom of the website, along with the full address of their land-based establishment.
The screenshot below shows you Mycasino.ch displaying the physical address of their casino (Grand Casino Luzern), phone number, email, and customer service opening hours.
A serious CH gambling business needs to be transparent and accessible to its customers; providing this information is one way of achieving that.
Banking options at CH casino sites are generally similar, but it’s still a good idea to confirm that the casino accepts your preferred method of payment. Finally, make sure the casino has a customer support team available 24/7 in case you have any questions or issues with your account or while playing for real money.
Once you’ve done all these checks, you can make a deposit and start playing at the best CH online casino of your choice.
Top Online Casino Games Popular in CH
The vast majority of Swiss online casino users prefer to play card games and European roulette. Other popular options include slot machines, keno, jackpot games, and video poker. The games offered at casinos in Switzerland are, for the most part, identical to those found at European online gambling sites, but in much smaller quantities.
For instance, players can find around 1000 games in total at online CH casinos, whereas most EU casinos offer between 2000-5000 games.
The following is a more in-depth look at the different types of games available at Switzerland’s casinos online.
Online Slot Machine Games
Online slots are typically found under the “Top Games” tab. You may have hours of fun with these games, and they don’t require any special skills or knowledge to play. All you need to do is set a bet size, press a “Play” button, and wait for luck to strike.
In contrast to the Book of Dead by Play’n Go and Starburst by Netent, which are typically featured in online casinos in the EU, players in Switzerland are presented with the Book of Ra Mystic Fortunes, Dolphin’s Pearl Deluxe, and Super Cherry 5000 online slot machines by Greentube (see image below).
Swiss casinos also have a sizable selection of jackpot slots. They are appealing to low-rollers as they may trigger massive winnings, and it’s possible to identify them by their progressive jackpot tickers. The top jackpot slots in CH casinos include games like Cocktail Rush, Cash & Carry: Shopping Spree, and Dice & Roll by Euro Games Technology (EGT).
One thing we appreciated about slots at Swiss casinos is that the RTP for each slot game is prominently displayed in the game file (for instance, “The RTP for this game is 96.46%”).
As mentioned before, the ESBK strongly encourages this kind of transparency, as it aids players in making educated choices regarding the games they play.
Feature Buy Slots
This is a category of slot games that is relatively new to the Swiss market. Feature buy slots (also known as “bonus buy”) allow players to purchase bonus rounds instead of spinning slot reels naturally and waiting for three scatters to appear in order to enter a free spin bonus game with 10 or 15 free spins.
Among the top Feature Buy slots are usually presented slots by iSoftBet and Pragmatic Play (Sugar Rush, The Dog House, Sweet Bonanza, etc.)
Online Live Dealer Games
You’ll find a range of popular table games in Swiss casinos, such as baccarat, blackjack, and European roulette. You have the option to play with a live human dealer or at virtual tables against a computer, where a random number generator decides the outcomes.
All the sites mentioned include a live casino section, with names like “LIVE From Switzerland” or “Swiss Casino Lobby.” Within these sections, you’ll discover real dealer games from Evolution Gaming and Playtech, live-streamed from dedicated casino studios throughout Europe.
In addition, each Swiss casino site offers unique live games broadcasted from their land-based venues.
For instance, Mycasino.ch offers live European roulette (single-zero), streamed directly from Grand Casino Lucerne, a real Swiss casino online. Likewise, on Swisscasinos.ch, you can find an equal experience by playing real money table games broadcasted from Pfäffikon Casino (see images below).
- There is a wide range of bet sizes on these games, ranging from CHF 0.20 to CHF 7000.
To summarize CH casino games, each game offers a unique gaming experience and appeals to different types of players. Slot games are famous for their simplicity and variety. Roulette and blackjack offer skill-based gameplay, and poker and baccarat offer a more competitive edge. Keno provides a chance to win big with minimal effort.
Overall, the selection of online casino games in Switzerland is largely similar to what we know from online casinos in Austria. Plenty of slots, jackpots, table games (including variants), and live dealer games are available for players to enjoy.
One particular feature that stands out is that some of the top CH casino sites have a special link in the footer that takes visitors to a page with information on all games.
This page details each available casino game by providing information about the software provider, minimum and maximum bet sizes in CHF, and game version and qualification ID.
Below is an example of game information at online.swisscasinos.ch.
|Deutsches Blackjack (Live Blackjack)
|Eurolive Technologies Ltd.
|Deutsches Roulette (Live Single Zero Roulette)
|Eurolive Technologies Ltd.
|Dolphin’s Perl Deluxe
|Lucky Lady’s Charme Deluxe
|Playtech Software Ltd.
|Super Cherry 2000
- The final thing we wanted to mention about the Swiss casino games is that they all get tested for fairness and accuracy by independent testing organizations such as eCOGRA or the Canadian company TST (Technical Systems Testing).
Leading Casino Game Providers in Switzerland
In contrast to some of the top European online casinos, which are powered by Softswiss (softswiss.com) and offer players access to over a hundred different casino game providers, CH casinos are typically only powered by a dozen or so select software companies.
These include well-known names such as Evolution Gaming, Microgaming, Netent, and Playtech, as well as less familiar names to some players like Red Tiger, PariPlay, Skywind Technology, and Wazdan.
Each of these top igaming companies has its own signature style, themes, and features that give the gaming experience a unique feel.
For example, Microgaming is known for its large progressive jackpot network (Mega Moolah) and all-time favorite online slots like Immortal Romance, The Finer Reels of Life, Playboy, Game of Thrones, and Thunderstruck that offer various types of free-spin bonus features.
Netent is recognized for its high-quality games like Dead or Alive 2, Gonzo’s Quest, Starburst, Divine Fortune, and Narcos, among others.
Evolution Gaming, on the other hand, is the undisputed EU leader in the provision of live casino games with real dealers and offers exclusive versions of blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and Live Show games streamed from their studios in Latvia, Malta, and other countries across Europe and North America.
Swiss players can also enjoy real dealer games from Real Dealer Studios when they play at 7 Melons Casino. Some other CH casino sites, such as Jackpots.ch and Casino777.ch, also offer software from iSoftBet, BRAGG Gaming, Gamomat, Playson, Gaming1, Amusnet Interactive, COGG Studios, and Hölle Games (a new igaming studio based in Germany).
However, there is no offering of Ezugi live casino games in Swiss casinos, unfortunately.
Swiss Online Casino Bonus Offers
Similar to online casinos across Europe, Swiss online casinos provide bonuses to draw in new players and keep current ones engaged. You’ll find a variety of CH casino bonuses, including welcome packages, no-deposit bonuses, match deposit bonuses, cashback offers, and loyalty schemes. You can typically use most of these bonuses to play slot and live casino games, potentially winning real money.
Overall, bonuses offered to players at online casinos in Switzerland are of good quality and generally have a high value. Don’t be surprised to encounter a welcome deposit package worth up to CHF 2000 or a free spin slot bonus upon successful registration and account verification at some top casino sites.
Playthrough requirements at these gambling sites are similar to those in most European countries, typically between 30x and 45x.
Naturally, there are specific conditions attached to these bonus offers, including game limitations, time restrictions, and maximum bet regulations. Therefore, carefully review all terms and conditions before claiming any offer from a Swiss casino.
Cashback in Swiss casinos is rare and only occasionally available in the form of weekly cashback bonus offers for specific games. Loyalty schemes are a bit more common, with players earning loyalty points (CHP) every time they play casino games at live dealer tables or video slot machines from select providers.
These CHPs can then be redeemed for cash bonuses, free spins, and even merchandise like iPhones, iPads, and laptop computers.
Refer a Friend
Refer a friend bonus is a fairly common offer in which Swiss players can earn some bonus cash for referring friends to the online casino. For example, at Jackpots.ch, the player can earn CHF 15 for every successful referral who deposits at least CHF 10.
The casino also sends a birthday bonus via SMS or email, but there is a strict requirement that at least four deposits be made before the birthday within the previous 30 days.
- To conclude this section, Swiss online casinos offer much better and more bonuses and promotions than their counterparts in the UK, Germany, or Belgium.
Swiss Casino Registration Process
The process of registering at an online casino in Switzerland is no different to that in other European countries and typically involves filling out a registration form with your personal details, such as your name, email address, phone number, and home address.
You may also be required to provide proof of identification and residence, such as a copy of your passport or driver’s license, as well as proof of ownership for any payment methods you plan to use at the casino.
Once you’ve completed the registration process and your CH casino account has been verified, you will be able to make your first deposit and start playing for real money. It’s important to note that Swiss online casinos only accept players who reside in Switzerland.
This is usually indicated by a dropdown menu on the registration form that is greyed out, with only Switzerland available as an option. See the screenshot below.
Payment Methods at Swiss Online Casinos
Swiss players have a range of fiat currency-based payment options to choose from when it comes to banking at online casinos. These options include local CH bank transfers, credit and debit cards, e-wallets, and prepaid cards like Paysafecard and Aplauz.
While there are no crypto-specific payment services available at online Swiss casinos, and the number of methods offered may be fewer compared to the best European casino sites in other countries, the available options should be sufficient for most real money players.
For details, please see the table below.
|1-2 working days
Credit card deposits at CH online casinos may incur the following fees:
- Bonuscard: 3.75%
- Cembra Money Bank: 3.75%
- Cornèrcard: 3.75%
- PostFinance: 3.5%
- Swisscard AECS: 3.75%
- UBS: 4%
Withdrawals back to credit cards here are not accepted.
Cash Out Process
Casino players in Switzerland must verify their accounts prior to requesting a withdrawal. This may involve providing additional verification documents, such as a copy of the front of their credit card with the middle 8 digits obscured and the 3-digit CVV2/CVC code on the back, or a bank statement with the bank’s logo, the player’s name, the date (within the past three months), and the player’s IBAN number for bank transfer withdrawals.
These documents can usually be uploaded through the “Account Verification” section of the casino site. It’s important to note that Swiss casino sites only allow withdrawals to the player’s own payment account and reserve the right to verify the player’s identity and the recipient of the payment. Any remaining bonus balance may also be canceled upon the player’s request for a withdrawal.
Winning payouts may take 1-4 business days to reach players, depending on the payment method they used.
Customer Support Options
Online casinos in Switzerland place a strong emphasis on customer service, offering a variety of ways for players to get in touch with their support teams. In addition to standard methods such as live chat and email, players in Switzerland can also reach out by phone to receive assistance with their casino accounts, games, bonus offers, and any other issues they may have.
We think that this level of dedication to customer service sets Swiss online casinos apart from those in other European countries.
Swiss Online Gambling Laws in Brief
The current legal framework for online gambling in Switzerland is outlined in the Gambling Act, which came into effect on January 1, 2019. This law allows land-based Swiss casinos to offer their gambling games online, and the Swiss Federal Gaming Board controls it.
To obtain a Swiss gambling license, Swiss land-based casinos must first receive authorization from the Federal Council and, for certain games, ESBK approval.
The Gambling Act includes regulations for various forms of gambling, including casinos, lotteries, sports betting, and online gambling. These regulations also aim to protect the public good by mitigating fraud, gambling addiction, and money laundering risks.
They also include provisions to restrict access to illegal online gambling in Switzerland and ensure that Swiss gamblers can only bet online with Swiss casinos and lotteries that pay taxes in the country.
- According to the Federal Constitution Article 106, gambling in the country must be transparent and fair.
The history of gambling in Switzerland is complex, with a long prohibition period due to moral and religious concerns. However, in the early 1990s, the Federal Council legalized casinos to increase economic revenue in the country. As a result, two separate regulatory systems are in place for the gaming industry.
Lotteries and other forms of gambling are governed by the cantons in accordance with the Lotteries and Betting Law (1923), while casinos are subject to federal oversight under the Casino Law (1998).
Alternatives to Swiss Online Casino Sites
Besides online gaming, Switzerland is home to 21 casinos, many of which are prestigious and popular. Some of the most renowned Swiss casinos, known for their quality and service, include:
- Casino Zürich
As the largest casino in Switzerland, Casino Zürich offers a wide range of real money gaming options, including 400 slot machines and numerous tables of roulette, craps, and baccarat games. It’s a part of the Swiss Casinos group and is known for its modern amenities and vibrant gaming atmosphere. It’s also famous for its jackpots, which are linked with four other Swiss Casino locations. Its online site is online.swisscasinos.ch.
- Casino de Montreux
Situated one hour by train from Geneva on the shores of Lake Geneva, Casino de Montreux is famous for its stunning location and diverse range of games, including live blackjack, roulette, Sic Bo, Punto Banco, Texas Hold’em, 3-Card, and Ultimate Poker. The casino also hosts numerous events and concerts, adding to its appeal. Its online site is gamrfirst.ch.
- Casino Lugano
Located in the Italian-speaking region of southern Switzerland, this casino is known for its contemporary design, Champagne Bar Laurent Perrier, and a wide selection of games, including slot machines, dice games, and poker tournaments. It’s a favorite among both local and European visitors. Its online site is swiss4win.ch.
- Grand Casino Baden
Located near Zurich, Grand Casino Baden is renowned for its elegant atmosphere and a variety of gaming options including live poker tournaments. The casino also features a gourmet restaurant, and COCO BADEN events with live music where various events such as Salsa Spectacle, We Love 80s, and Dance Night 40 are held. Its online site is jackpots.ch.
- Casino St. Moritz
Although smaller than some other casinos, Casino St. Moritz offers an exclusive gambling experience in the Engadin Valley. It’s particularly known for its high-class ambiance and personalized service. Gaming options at Casino St. Moritz include American roulette, blackjack, Texas Hold’em, punto banco, slot machines (0.01 to CHF 25.00 per spin), Touch-bet European roulette, and Swiss Jackpots such as the Alpine Jackpot and Eagle Jackpot.
FAQs on Swiss Online Casinos in 2024
- Who regulates online casinos and gambling in Switzerland?
- Online casinos and gambling in Switzerland are regulated by the Swiss Gambling Supervisory Authority (GESPA) and the Swiss Federal Gaming Board (ESBK).
- What are some top online casinos in Switzerland?
- Among Swiss players, top online casinos include locally Swiss-licensed operators such as Swiss Casinos, Mycasino, Casino Davos, Jackpots Casino, Swiss4Win, and 777 Casino. These casinos are known in the country for offering a good balance of bonuses, and a wide range of real money games. Plus, they’re all about fair play in a regulated gaming environment.
- International casinos like Bitstarz and Winz Casino, operating in Europe, also enjoy popularity with Swiss players. Their appeal, irrespective of their licensing status in Switzerland, is primarily due to their slot and live dealer game offerings, as well as their fast payouts.
- Which online Swiss casinos have the best bonus offers?
- Mycasino stands out with its attractive welcome bonus offer. The site provides a 100% bonus up to CHF 300, along with 200 free spins for the Golden Rabbit slot game. This new-player bonus offering comes with a wagering requirement of 35 times, which must be met within 30 days of activation. While the bonus amount might not be the largest available, its 35x wagering requirement is fairly reasonable in the current market.
- Who are the leading online casino game providers in Switzerland?
- Leading online casino game providers in Switzerland include Evolution Gaming, Amusnet, Greentube, Microgaming (now Games Global), Play’n GO, Netent, Pragmatic Play, Playtech, Pariplay, Red Tiger, Skywind Technology, and Wazdan. These providers feature prominently across the country’s top casino sites.
- What casino games do the top Swiss online casinos offer?
- Top Switzerland-based casino sites offer live table games such as blackjack, roulette (European, American), poker, baccarat, as well as video slots, jackpot games, and video poker. In addition, these casinos often host slot and live game tournaments, where players have the opportunity to win bonus money.
- Are the games at Swiss online casinos fair?
- All games at online Swiss casinos are tested for fairness and accuracy by independent testing organizations such as eCOGRA and TST (Technical Systems Testing). These official lab tests ensure that the games are fair, and operate in a manner that meets the standards set by the Swiss regulatory authority.
- Can Swiss players try real money casino games for free?
- Yes, most CH online casinos offer demo versions of RNG-based games, such as slots and table games, allowing players to try them without wagering real money. Before playing, players see the following message: ‘This game is starting as a Demo. Please log in to play this game with real money.’
- What payments and currencies do Swiss online casinos accept?
- Swiss online casinos offer a range of fiat-based payment options compatible with the Swiss Franc, including PostFinance, YAPEAL, TWINT, Visa debit and credit cards, e-wallets like Skrill and Neteller, prepaid cards including Paysafecard and Aplauz, as well as local bank transfers. The official currency is the Swiss Franc (CHF).
- How long does it take to withdraw money from Swiss casino sites?
- Withdrawal times at Swiss casino sites vary based on the payment method used. Payouts using the YAPEAL app are instant after the casino processes the withdrawal, but with other payment methods, it can take 1-4 business days.
- What is customer support at Swiss online casinos like?
- Swiss online casinos place a strong emphasis on customer service. They offer various methods for players to get in touch with their support teams, including live chat, email, and phone support. This level of dedication to customer service sets Swiss online casinos apart from many others across Europe.
- Can players access international casino websites from Switzerland?
- Yes, Swiss players can access international casino websites. Bear in mind, however, GESPA maintains a list of online casinos that are prohibited from operating in Switzerland. In general, it’s best to check the GESPA blocklist before playing at any casino online to ensure that the site is not listed as prohibited.
Navigate all our guides to online casinos by country in Europe below, covering top sites, games, and regulation insights.