Our guide to the best online casinos in Slovenia includes information on popular games to play, available software providers, different casino bonuses, deposit and withdrawal methods, and other specifics. To wrap things up, we’ll look in brief at the legal framework for gambling in Slovenia and discuss some of the on-the-ground choices available to locals and tourists alike.
Playing at Online Casinos in Slovenia
Even though gambling was illegal for a long time, things changed in 1995, thanks to the Gambling Act, which made land-based gambling legal and well-regulated.
Unless you’re an experienced player, you’ll have to do in-depth research to find online casinos that are available to Slovenian players. The good news is that we decided to do the grunt work and research the top-rated online casinos in Slovenia.
Best Slovenia Online Casino Games Overview
Slovenians aren’t that different from the rest of Europe regarding their casino game preferences. Video slots are the most popular game in Slovenia; however, players also enjoy various other casino games, including live dealer games, video poker, table games, and more.
- Live Dealer – Top online casinos usually feature live dealer games streamed in real-time from dedicated studios in Europe, allowing players to experience the atmosphere of land-based casinos on their computer or mobile device.
- Table Games – The term “table games” usually refers to classic casino games, such as roulette, craps, blackjack, baccarat, poker, and more. Many of these are available in Slovenian online casinos.
- Online Slots – Slots are part of virtually all online casinos in Slovenia. There are many such games with megaways and a random number of reels and rows, but you’ll find most online slot machines have three, five, or six reels. In these games, players spin the reels for the chance to win lucrative prizes. If you’re after big winnings, you should check out video slots with progressive jackpots, as they can bring hundreds of thousands of euros to the luckiest of players.
- Video Poker – Video poker is a classic casino game found in both online and real casinos. It is a variation of draw poker where your goal is to make the best possible hand.
Options for Playing SI Casino Games on Mobile
The entire online gambling industry is shifting to “mobile-first”, which is why most online casinos in Slovenia are available on your phone or tablet. To play the mentioned games from your mobile phone, you simply need to load the casino site on your phone, log in (or register), and start playing a game of your choice.
It is worth also noting that some top casinos have stand-alone apps that allow better flexibility and other online gaming benefits. You can usually find a link and instructions for installing the app on a casino’s website.
Top Casino Game Providers in Slovenia
Clearly, the online casino market has never been as crowded, and many game development companies decided to test their luck on the market by making casino games. Some have been around for decades and are known for top-quality games. The current list of industry leaders includes (a-z):
- Big Time Gaming
- Blueprint Gaming
- Hacksaw Gaming
- Nolimit City
- Play’n GO
- Pragmatic Play
- Push Gaming
- Relax Gaming
- Yggdrasil Gaming
If you’re into live casinos, you’ve probably heard of providers such as Playtech, Evolution Gaming, Pragmatic Play, Real Dealer, and Ezugi. The point is that all these game developers are present at the top online casinos in Europe, and many of them are available to players in Slovenia.
List of Slovenia Online Casino Bonuses
Most online casinos in Slovenia offer bonuses for new and regular customers. In fact, bonuses have become inevitable for casinos that want to stay in the race. Therefore, if you’re from Slovenia and are looking to join an online casino, the first thing you should pay attention to is welcome bonuses and regular promotions, as you can use these offers to extend your gaming session.
Let’s look at some of Slovenia’s most widely recognized bonuses offered by online casinos.
- The Welcome Bonus – The welcome deposit bonus is the most common type of bonus in online casinos, and it’s only available to new players. You need to open an account and make your first deposit to claim it. In most cases, the amount you’ll receive as bonus money is directly related to the amount you deposit. For example, if the bonus provides 100% on top of your deposit and you deposit 100 EUR, you’ll receive an additional 100 EUR in bonus money.
- Reload Bonus – Reload bonuses are similar to welcome bonuses, except they are usually awarded to regular customers and are often not as lucrative. For instance, a standard reload bonus will give you 25% – 50% on top of your deposit.
- No Deposit Bonus –This bonus is awarded to new players who decide to open an account. In other words, there’s no need to deposit to get the bonus. However, no-deposit bonuses are usually considerably smaller than welcome deposit bonuses. For instance, a standard no-deposit bonus maybe 10 or 20 EUR. Sometimes, instead of bonus money, players receive free spins.
- Free Spins – Instead of receiving bonus money, players sometimes receive free spins for slots (or a specific slot). Free spins are not always awarded as a stand-alone bonus, and you’ll often see welcome deposit bonuses with additional free spins for new players. The money you win with free spins is still subject to wagering requirements.
- Cashback – Cashback bonuses allow you to get some of your money back. For example, if a cashback bonus offers 10% cashback and you lose 100 EUR within the specified period (usually a week), you’ll receive 10 EUR back to your balance.
- Slot Tournaments –The goal of online slot tournaments is to collect points by playing slots and receive rewards if you top the leaderboard (or are close to the top).
Loyalty and Bonuses for SI Casino VIP Players
Another method to earn benefits in online casinos in Slovenia is to enrol in a loyalty or VIP programme. Many online casinos have tiered programs, meaning you can collect points while playing games to reach new levels and receive better goodies.
Top-tier players often have special benefits such as increased deposit and withdrawal limits, better cashback deals, and even complimentary holidays. Of course, even if you’re a low-level VIP player, you’ll still enjoy many perks, such as birthday gifts, additional bonuses, high-value free spins and more.
Understanding SI Casino Bonus Terms
Even though there’s a range of great bonuses and promotions in Slovenian online casinos, you should understand that each bonus comes with a set of restrictions that determine its actual value.
The most important term is wagering requirements. It determines how many times you need to wager through your bonus amount before it becomes available for withdrawal.
- Example: If your bonus is 100 EUR and the wagering requirements are 30x, you’ll have to wager 3,000 EUR (30×100) to unlock your bonus funds and withdraw your winnings. It is also essential to know that wagering requirements sometimes apply to both bonus and deposit amounts.
Another thing you should pay attention to is the minimum deposit amount. For instance, if the minimum is set at 20 EUR, you need to deposit at least 20 EUR to activate your deposit bonus.
Finally, most bonuses have a validity period. Simply put, you need to use your bonus funds or meet the specified wagering requirements within the stated time, or your bonus money will be forfeited.
Slovenia Online Casino Payment Methods
Slovenian players can use various payment methods to deposit and withdraw their funds from online casinos. Most are instant and come with minimum to non-existent transaction fees.
Slovenians use credit and debit cards for all sorts of online transactions, including online casino deposits. They also often use the e-wallets available in SI, including PayPal, Skrill, and Neteller.
Slovenia is the first country to build a monument to Bitcoin in the city of Kranj. It has been called the crypto hub of Europe on several occasions, so it’s no surprise that online casinos also accept popular cryptocurrencies as payment options.
The most popular cryptos used by Slovenians are Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and more.
No matter which online deposit method you select, all your deposits to online casinos will be almost instant. However, we cannot say the same about all online casinos in Slovenia when it comes to cashing out your winnings because all casino sites in SI need some time to review and approve every withdrawal request, and some casinos need more time than others.
It is also important to note that some casinos have a waiting period for withdrawals, usually between 12 and 72 hours. Casinos that can approve your withdrawal request in the shorter time possible are very rare, and generally, they’re classed as the best. Moreover, the payment method used for the withdrawal might result in additional waiting time. For example, many online casinos allow bank withdrawals, which take up to several business days.
The withdrawal limits depend on several factors in Slovenian online casinos — the platform’s withdrawal rules, the withdrawal method of your choice, and your player status.
Every casino also has internal limits. The minimum withdrawal limits are usually between 10 and 20 EUR, whereas the maximum monthly limits differ significantly. For example, if the maximum monthly withdrawal is 10,000 EUR per player, you won’t be able to cash out more than that. This amount applies to a single transaction, but casinos often have daily and weekly withdrawal limits.
Players may find this extremely frustrating, so we recommend they always play at casinos with no withdrawal limits.
The withdrawal method of your choice can also affect the withdrawal limit. For example, if you’re cashing out using a card, the upper limit will be pretty small, as opposed to bank withdrawals, where you can withdraw much more money.
In addition, your player status can affect the maximum withdrawal limits.
Simply put, VIP players (especially those belonging to the highest tier) will have much higher limits than players who just started their online casino gambling journeys.
Alternatives to Playing at Slovenia Online Casinos
Slovenia has 10 real casinos, according to the official tourism website. Therefore, if you have had enough of online casinos and want to try your luck in real-life gambling, here are the casino options for you to consider:
- Perla, Casinò & Hotel – Nova Gorica
- Park, Casinò & Hotel
- Aurora, Casino & Cabaret – Kobarid
- Grand Casino Lipica – Lipica
- Grand Casino Portorož – Portorož
- Casino Riviera
- Casino Bernardin
- Korona, Casinò & Hotel – Kranjska Gora
- Casinò Fontana – Rogaška Slatina
- Casino Bled – Bled
- Casino Drive-In – Nova Gorica
Image Source: Casino.si
Here are additional details about the best casinos in Slovenia. Most feature several hundred slot machine games and an array of table games.
Grand Casino Portorož
Located in Portotož, Grand Casino is one of the oldest casinos in Slovenia. The original casino was opened in 1913 and was closed several times throughout its history. The casino was officially renovated in 2012 and is operated by Casino Portorož d.d., the first official owner of an online casino licence.
Grand Casino Portorož currently features 250+ gaming machines. Apart from slots, you’ll find a wide array of table games, including American roulette, French roulette, blackjack, Caribbean poker, Texas hold ’em bonus poker, and more. The casino also features several bingo options.
- Address: Obala 75A, Portorož 6320 Slovenia
- Phone: +386 5 676 04 50
Located in Nova Gorica, Slovenia, Casino Perla is the second most popular land-based casino after Grand Casino Portorož. Perla is one of the biggest venues in this part of Europe, featuring more than 880 slots and 90 gaming tables.
You can find American and French roulette, punto banco, blackjack chemin de fer, and many other popular table games here. What makes casino Perla stand out from the pack is the option to play casino games under the open sky, as it features an open-air bar with 86 great slot machines.
- Address: Kidričeva ulica 7, 5000 Nova Gorica, Slovenia
- Phone: +386 5 331 13 41
Casino Riviera is also located in Portorož, and its full name is Casino Admiral Riviera Portorož. Even though it’s not the largest casino in Slovenia, it’s the favourite of many locals. The property features over 180 slots, electronic table games, and several other amenities.
- Address: Obala 33, 6320 Portorož – Portorose, Slovenia
- Phone: +386 5 674 82 53
Slovenia Online Gambling Laws In Brief
Slovenia has a legal and regulated online gambling market that comes with some restrictions. Even though most forms of online gambling are legal, lottery and sports betting are monopolised, meaning there’s only one company offering them. On the other hand, casino games are not subject to monopoly, but online casinos can only be operated by a land-based operator in the country. Because of this, the number of Slovenian online casinos is quite limited.
The good news is that plenty of online gambling platforms don’t operate under a Slovenian licence but accept Slovenian players. These online casinos are usually licensed and regulated in another jurisdiction, but they operate in a legal grey area in Slovenia.
Guides to online casinos in Europe, covering top sites, games, and regulation insights in 2023 by Onlinecasinoinfo.eu.