iGaming Test Labs, which you might know as gaming systems testing agencies or online gambling testing labs, are third-party organizations that provide independent analysis and certification for online casino, gaming, and gambling sites in Europe and worldwide.
These organizations ensure that the games in online casinos we play uphold fairness, randomness, and integrity.
By thoroughly testing the Random Number Generators (RNGs), these testing labs ensure that the element of chance in casino games is genuine and that no undue manipulation takes place – a point of concern we, as players, certainly value.
They also assess the security and reliability of gaming systems.
And when a European online casino obtains certifications from a reputable iGaming test laboratory, it shows its commitment to fair play, player protection, and responsible gambling practices.
eCOGRA (e-Commerce Online Gambling Regulation and Assurance) is a key trustmark in the online gaming world that was established in 2003. The goal was to bring regulation to a then Wild West-like environment.
It’s based in the United Kingdom, and this independent body works to uphold the principles of fair play and protect us, the players, in the online gaming industry.
- eCOGRA focuses on fair gaming, player protection, and responsible conduct. They were the pioneers in the self-regulation of online gambling operators, casino game developers, and service providers, which we can all appreciate. Their Generally Accepted Practice (eGAP) Requirements are a benchmark for best practices in the casino industry. These requirements evolve continually with technology and international regulations.
- eCOGRA tests and certifies online gambling software and systems, ensuring that every game we play is truly random. In addition, they test security measures to protect our data as players.
- When online European casinos bear eCOGRA certifications, it signifies these casinos’ commitment to fair play, secure practices, responsible conduct, and compliance with rules set by European and international gambling authorities.
In its two-decade journey, eCOGRA has achieved global jurisdictional approvals from Gibraltar to Kahnawake, Italy to New Jersey. With multiple accreditations, it oversees compliance testing for various jurisdictions, providing assurances of integrity for players and regulators alike.
|Year or Events||Major Accomplishments|
|2003-2004||Establishment of eCOGRA. Michael Hirst awarded ‘OBE’.|
|2005-2007||eCOGRA obtained jurisdictional approval for Kahnawake, First Cagayan, and Gibraltar.|
|2008||eCOGRA obtained approval for the Isle of Man and was appointed by EGBA for annual audits.|
|2009-2010||Awarded industry’s first-ever mobile gambling provider accreditation to Spin3 and tested Kahnawake Gaming Commission Licensees.|
|2011-2012||eCOGRA obtained approval for Italy, Malta, Spain, Alderney, Denmark, Great Britain, and Latvia. Also awarded ISO/IEC 17025:2005 by UKAS.|
|2013-2014||Obtained approval for Estonia, Bulgaria, and Croatia.|
|2015-2016||Obtained approval for Portugal, Lithuania, New Jersey, and Romania. Approved as ADR service provider in the UK.|
|2017-2018||Obtained approval for Czech Republic, Jersey, and PAGCOR. Awarded ISO/IEC 17021-1:2015 by UKAS and approved as ADR service provider in Malta.|
|2019-2020||Obtained approval for Belarus, Colombia, Buenos Aires Province, Sweden, Switzerland, and Buenos Aires City. Awarded ISO/IEC 17020:2012 and ISO/IEC 17065:2012 by UKAS.|
|2021-2023||Obtained approval for Greece, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Colorado, and Virginia. INAB ISO/IEC 17020 certification awarded.|
Gaming Laboratories International (GLI)
GLI, Gaming Laboratories International, is a globally renowned company specializing in testing, certification, and professional services for the gaming industry. With over 30 years of experience, GLI has established itself as a trusted partner for gaming equipment manufacturers, operators, and regulators worldwide.
In Europe, GLI has a strong presence and works closely with gaming jurisdictions and regulators across the continent. GLI operates offices and laboratories in strategic European locations, including the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, and the United Kingdom.
This local presence allows GLI to provide on-the-ground support and assistance to its European clients.
Services provided include thorough testing and certification of gaming products, expert consultation on regulatory compliance, and insights into emerging technologies and market trends.
- GLI collaborates with European gaming authorities, regulators, and industry associations to develop and update technical standards and regulations. By participating in these initiatives, GLI contributes to establishing a harmonized and transparent gaming landscape across Europe, promoting consumer protection and fair competition.
For us European players, what this means is that the casino games we love, whether in our land-based casinos or online platforms, go through strict testing and adhere to the regulatory frameworks of our respective countries.
GLI’s dedication to the European gaming industry is even more evident through their active participation in industry events and conferences throughout our continent.
BMM Testlabs, established in 1981, is the longest-serving independent gaming testing laboratory worldwide. With a global footprint of 15 offices in 14 countries, it provides comprehensive services to the regulated gaming market.
At the core of BMM’s offerings are testing, regulatory consultancy, and field services. These help software manufacturers, casino operators, and regulators achieve the highest technical compliance standards in the gaming industry.
BMM’s global reach extends to over 480 jurisdictions, underscoring its commitment to upholding gaming integrity.
- BMM takes on the task of testing Class III & Class II games. This differentiation of games has a significant impact on our experience and potential payouts as players. Class III games are the ones you would typically find in Las Vegas-style casinos, with familiar games like slot machines, blackjack, craps, and roulette. Class II games, on the other hand, include bingo and its related games.
In ensuring fairness and transparency, BMM conducts mathematical analyses of Return to Player (RTP) percentages and game odds. This analysis is critical for players to understand their chances of winning. Similarly, the testing and verification of Random Number Generators ensure the outcome of games is genuinely random and fair.
Players who engage in sports betting will find comfort in knowing that BMM has tested and verified the sites they’re playing at. BMM Testlabs scrutinizes everything from overall system security to the reliability of live betting features.
BMM also examines the physical aspects of gaming, like peripheral devices, cabinets, shufflers, and kiosks.
These tests ensure these devices operate as expected, providing players with a seamless and efficient gaming experience.
- BMM’s scope also extends to mobile devices and server-assisted platforms, verifying the reliability and security of these platforms.
Player rewards and bonuses are another area where we can see BMM’s work. They verify the fairness and transparency of systems like progressive jackpots, external bonusing, coupons, and player rewards. Such systems require vigilant monitoring and testing to maintain our trust as players.
For table game enthusiasts, BMM’s involvement extends to testing shufflers for fairness and accuracy, ensuring every hand dealt is genuinely random.
iTech Labs is a globally renowned testing and certification laboratory for online gaming systems. Founded in 2004, it has continuously worked to ensure that online gaming platforms are fair, reliable, and enjoyable.
Today, iTech Labs is part of the GLI family, functioning as one of its subsidiaries.
When players engage with a game certified by iTech Labs, they are assured of its fairness due to the rigorous testing procedures implemented by the company’s expert personnel.
These procedures validate everything from compliance with local jurisdictional regulations to software quality and system resilience.
iTech Labs conducts regular audits of Return to Player (RTP) and Random Number Generators (RNG), which are crucial aspects of a game’s fairness. RTP audits analyze the percentage of total wagered money returned to players over time in single-player casino games.
Meanwhile, RNG audits, applied to card, dice, and ball games, ensure outcomes are genuinely random.
- iTech Labs also tests Hardware and Pseudo Random Number Generators (PRNGs). This testing methodology bolsters the unpredictability and integrity of the games we play.
Compliance with GDPR regulations, as well as the company’s ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO/IEC 17020 accreditation by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA), underscores iTech Labs’ adherence to international standards.
Transparency is a key tenet of iTech Labs’ operations. Players can verify a game’s certification by clicking on the iTech Labs logo on the gaming site, which should display the company’s certificate for that site, linking back to the original certificate on the iTech Labs website.
Trisigma is a leading international testing laboratory in the gaming industry, founded in 2010 by Rob Hubregtse and Frank Otte. Known for its rapid growth and reputation, Trisigma is well-respected by the gaming industry and regulatory bodies alike.
Their primary focus lies in offering dedicated certification services in response to compliance requirements for games aimed at the European market. Trisigma’s leadership, Rob Hubregtse and Frank Otte, each bring over 25 years of experience in gaming compliance and certification business.
Their diverse backgrounds span software quality assurance, system engineering, logistics management, quality management, software development, and information security.
- Trisigma’s core mission is contributing to a professionally maintained and socially accepted responsible gaming landscape. Its operations extend to multiple jurisdictions, including Alderney, Buenos Aires City and Province, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
The company offers various services, including certification, testing, inspection, auditing, training, forensics, and regulatory services. It employs a variety of testing methods, such as statistical testing and analysis, source code analysis, functional testing, simulation analysis, RTP and maths analysis, performance testing, boundary and stress testing, and regression and penetration testing.
In terms of systems, Trisigma tests RNG (Random Number Generator), Casino Management Systems, Cashless / TITO / SAS systems, Linked jackpot systems, Information security systems, and Player monitoring systems.
Trisigma caters to a variety of gaming market sectors such as iGaming / Mobile and Remote Gaming, Lotteries, Casinos, Arcades, Keno / Bingo, Pubs, and FEC. They also test an array of games and RNG devices.
Trisigma holds ISO/IEC 17020 and 17025 accreditations, indicating its commitment to maintaining high standards of quality in its operations.
The company is based in Geldermalsen, The Netherlands, and in 2018, it expanded its presence by opening a test lab in Rubí, Barcelona, Spain, to better serve the gaming industry and regulators in Southern Europe.
Quinel, an internationally accredited testing laboratory and inspection body in the gaming industry, has over a decade of experience. With a laboratory in Italy and offices in Malta and the United Kingdom, Quinel offers gaming testing, certification, and inspection.
Quinel’s activities adhere to a company policy that values impartiality, confidentiality, and independence. Its experienced team of gaming professionals develops and executes compliance and testing programs, enabling fast delivery for immediate market access.
- The company’s test engineers specialize in online gaming technologies and provide testing across regulatory areas involving technical, security, financial, and legal expertise.
Quinel’s operations are widespread, spanning several jurisdictions such as Argentina, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Colombia, Croatia, Curaçao, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, First Cagayan, Georgia, Gibraltar, Greece, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Kahnawake, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Ontario, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Players within these regions can trust that Quinel conducts turnkey compliance testing and reviews in line with the applicable regulatory frameworks.
- Quinel holds a multitude of accreditations, such as Testing Laboratory (ISO/IEC 17025), Inspection Body (ISO/IEC 17020), and Certification Body (ISO/IEC 17021-1, and ISO/IEC 17065) from the National Accreditation Board in Malta and Accredia. It is also a Qualified Security Assessor and is recognized in all major regulated jurisdictions.
Quinel’s testing and inspection services in online gaming cover areas like technical compliance, network security, auditing, and change management reviews.
It tests platform core components, casino gaming content, random number generators, security requirements following ISO 27001 and PCI DSS frameworks, live dealer studios, game updates, and sportsbook platforms, and ensures multi-jurisdiction compliance.
Gaming Associates Europe
Gaming Associates Europe is a company that provides comprehensive testing, inspection, and certification services to the global gaming industry. They have been operational since the 1990s and have played a pioneering role in regulated Internet gaming. Their client base includes game operators, developers, and regulators.
One of the key aspects of their work is to ensure that casino gaming operators, suppliers, and aggregators comply with the legal and regulatory requirements of different jurisdictions globally.
These jurisdictions span across Europe, North America, Latin America, and Australasia. Gaming Associates helps clients prepare for and pass regulatory inspections by conducting an in-depth assessment and gap analysis of requirements, thereby enabling them to continue offering their products in those jurisdictions.
Below are European countries where Gaming Associates provides comprehensive testing:
- Czech Republic
- Isle of Man
- Madrid Province (Spain)
- United Kingdom
Their services include games certification, testing and inspection, information security, ISO 27001 Certification, and product certification.
They have developed expertise in testing and certifying Random Number Generators (RNGs), which are crucial for game functionality and player confidence in the fairness of game outcomes.
In addition, they provide RTP testing to ensure that the percentage of money returned to players is in line with regulatory requirements.
They are also proficient in testing online live dealer casino games. This involves secure remote testing of each live vendor game and on-site inspections of the gaming studio premises.
Here’s a brief overview of their services in a tabular form:
|Games Certification||Ensuring games and gaming technologies comply with regulations.|
|Testing & Inspection||In-depth assessment and gap analysis of regulatory requirements.|
|Information Security||Security measures to protect sensitive information related to games.|
|ISO 27001 Certification||Validation of information security management systems.|
|Product Certification||Validation of the compliance of gaming products with regulations.|
|RNG Testing and Certification||Testing and certification of Random Number Generators for fairness and unpredictability.|
|RTP Testing||Calculation and assessment of Return To Player percentages in games.|
|Live Dealer Gaming Testing||Remote testing of live vendor games and on-site inspection of studio premises.|
FAQs on Casino Test Labs Answered
- What are fairness test labs in online casinos?
- Fairness test labs are independent entities that ensure online casino games operate fairly and randomly, thereby maintaining a trusted and transparent environment for players.
- How do these labs validate the randomness of the Random Number Generator?
- Labs validate the RNG’s randomness by running statistical tests, confirming that game outcomes match expected probability distributions, thus suggesting there are no manipulation or foreseeable patterns. This involves assessing the statistical randomness of outcomes, the RNG’s internal state for integrity, and its seeding, re-seeding, and cycling processes to ensure unpredictability.
- The non-repeatability of outcomes is also evaluated to thwart pattern formation and scrutinize the RNG’s scaling and shuffling of random numbers to guarantee unbiased application in games.
- What are some reputable online casino fairness test labs?
- Reputable fairness test labs in the online casino industry include eCOGRA, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI), BMM Testlabs, iTech Labs, Trisigma, Quinel, and Gaming Associates Europe. Each laboratory is recognized for their rigorous testing procedures and adherence to industry standards, with detailed descriptions available here on this page.
- What are the certifications indicating a game’s fairness?
- Certifications indicating a game’s fairness differ between labs, but usually, a “Seal of Approval” from eCOGRA or a “Certification” from iTech Labs denotes that the game has passed its fairness testing procedures.
- How are live dealer games tested for fairness?
- For live dealer games, fairness is ensured through a complete audit of the live dealer software providers’ operational processes, their dealers’ training, and their equipment functionality.
- How can players ensure data security while playing casino games?
- Data security in online casinos is maintained through encryption, secure protocols, and compliance with regulations such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Reputable EU online casinos often undergo an annual third-party security audit, aligning with specific sections of ISO 27001. For more details, see EU casino data security standards.
- What methods do test labs use to assess online casino game fairness?
- Test labs utilize a blend of advanced mathematical and statistical analyses, computational algorithms, and thorough software testing methodologies. These techniques aid in a comprehensive evaluation of online casino game fairness.
- How frequently are online casino games tested for fairness?
- The frequency of testing depends on the jurisdiction and the specific testing company. Most online casino games undergo an initial certification process and then regular audits, usually annually.
- How can players access test results for specific online casino games?
- Players can usually find test results or fairness certifications on the online casino’s website, typically at the footer of the site or within a dedicated “Fairness” or “Security” section.
- What action can players take if they suspect a certified game is unfair?
- If players suspect any unfairness in a game, the first point of contact should be the casino’s customer service. If the issue persists, escalate it to the local gambling regulatory body or the testing house that certified the game.
- Can test labs guarantee absolute fairness in online casino games?
- Test labs strive for absolute fairness, but the inherent nature of randomness includes an element of chance. Thus, absolute predictability or identical results for every player can’t be guaranteed. These casino game testing labs generally ensure that games function within the acceptable boundaries of unpredictability, reflecting real-world probabilities.